Friday, May 14, 2010

Supper With The Family!!!

Hello everyone!


    I have started something new to help my family enjoy meal time together!! Every afternoon I have my son draw a main dish from the "what's for supper" jar. Then he gets to help me prepare it and set the table.

    Last night was so amazing. It worked out so nice! My son picked chicken wrapped in bacon, filled with cream cheese and ranch. It's so yummy! I call that our fancy meal, so then we added a theme to our meals. Since it was kind of fancy food we got out the fancy cups and Mom pretended to be the waitress when Dad got home. We had candle light and everything. It was so much fun. My son and I also made chocolate covered marshmallows with sprinkles which he was so excited to get out and show his dad! We ended supper by drawing from the "clean up after meal time" jar. My 4 year old son got dishes, which was funny because he hasn't ever done them.With Mom's help he done the dishes and he did a pretty darn good job! So we all got everything cleaned up as a family.
 
   My 16 month old daughter even helped. She wiped down the chairs for us! So when you think your kids are too young for something just try it anyways and see how it works.

   I never even thought of having my son help with the dishes and he did and amazing job. I wasn't going to ask my daughter to help but I saw her helping her brother clean the table the day before so I thought I would give it a try!

    I'm so very excited about this new thing because, before, we had so much trouble eating with our kids. My son always wants a snack right before and won't sit and eat with us. However since he was involved in supper so much he wasn't bored and wanting something every 5 seconds. We usually don't clean up after supper which I hate because I'm left to clean it up in the morning. So I will for sure keep trying this and hope that it stays this way!! I will update you guys on our themes and how its goes! It's going to be so much fun!!! If anyone has other ideas please feel free to share!

5 comments:

Ellen Marie "Mama" Pike said...

These are some great ideas. Mealtime can be such a struggle. Sounds like you have found some wonderful solutions!

zara nichols creations said...

Thank you I'm so glad it worked!! It is such a struggle but so important to make it work!

Anonymous said...

can't wait to hear more themes!
you should add some photos with them... love you bunches!
:)

Kendra said...

I love the dinner jar idea! I don't mind cooking I just hate picking what to cook so that is a perfect solution! :)

zara nichols creations said...

Thanks I don't really like picking things out either! I was just trying to come up with something to get my son more involved! It has been working pretty good!